Sunday, September 1, 2013

Book Reviews: The Book Thief and The Husband’s Secret

Finally!  Two books to tell you about.  Very different from each other but I loved both of them.  Ok, I loved The Book Thief a little bit more.
1) The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.  Here is the blurb from GoodReads:
“It is 1939. Nazi Germany. The country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier, and will become busier still.  Liesel Meminger is a foster girl living outside of Munich, who scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement.”
Excellent, excellent book.  Wonderful writing.  Great story, although the subject matter is horribly sad.  Interesting narrator – you’ll have to read it to see what I mean.

2) The Husband's Secretby Liane Moriarty.  Again, a GoodReads blurb:
“To be opened in the event of my death
With one swift, vicious movement, she sliced the envelope open, and pulled out a handwritten letter.
love you and the girls...
so sorry to leave you with this...
cannot bear

The Husband's Secret is a funny, heartbreaking novel of marriage, grief, love and secrets.”
I listened to this one through Audible.  The narrator was excellent  -  not dull and monotone like Molly Ringwald in The Middlestiens.  The story pulls you right along, with some twists and turns and wondering what will happen next when the secrets come out.  The author’s style includes leaving you cliff hanging at the end of a chapter,  to go to another part of the story.  I love that because it makes you want to keep listening (or turning pages).  But I also hate that, because I’m impatient!

I am still 3 books behind schedule to reach my goal of 45 books by the end of this year. (I’ve read 26.)  I’m definitely staying away from Stephen King’s 11/22/63 for now.  At 849 pages, that’s like 3 books – sort of.  Isn’t that a great reason for not reading it yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment